PhillyBoy and I have been running machines since we started training for the Philadelphia Half Marathon (which is November 22). What does that mean? We need more food! I find myself looking for an extra little pick-me-up in the afternoon, and to me, nothing says afternoon snack better than a muffin!
Therefore I set out to make a healthy muffin: apple muffins, in fact! After apple picking with PB, Heather, & Mark, we had more than enough apples in the house! These muffins are not sweet, but lend the perfect texture and hint of sweetness to bring out the natural flavor of the apples. I based this recipe off of a muffin recipe I made last year.
I have eaten these alone or in a big bowl of yogurt with added berries. Both ways, these are delicious! And they freeze well too!
Apple Walnut Raisin Muffins
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1.5 tbs cinnamon
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup skim milk
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs white sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup halved walnuts
2 apples, washed, peeled, and diced
1/4 cup raisins
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 12 muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Mix the wet in one bowl. Mix the dry in another.
3. Add the wet to the dry, but don’t overmix.
4. Stir in the walnuts, raisins and apples.
5. Fill each tin about 2/3 the way full and bake for about 12-14 minutes until the top is nice an golden brown.