I was feeling very domestic last weekend, what with the man in my life building me closets and such and so on and therefore.
A reward was needed for all his hard work. Since I know he likes granola but often finds the store-bought kind to be too sweet and too expensive (don’t we all agree), I decided to just make him my own!!!! I kind of just used what he had on hand, which was perfect for him and his tastes. Also, I did look up a few recipes since the first attempt yielded a lack of crunch (which is a key component to granola).
Quick recap… I was trying to make a granola that is:
-made of whole ingredients
-cheaper than store-bought
-yummy as a topping on plain greek yogurt
-made with ingredients PB had or could easily find
4 cups of old fashioned oats
1/4 cup classic honey
1/4 cup molasses (but I think I would omit this next time)
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup almonds
small handful mixed salted nuts (about 1/4 cup)
2/3 cup jumbo raisins
a lot of patience
1. Heat the oven to 300 degrees. Mix the oats, salt, and half the raisins in a bowl.
2. Heat the honey, molasses, and water over low heat until they all melt together (about 3 minutes). Meanwhile, chop up the nuts roughly and add to the dry ingredients bowl.
2. Once the liquid mixture is all melty and warm, add it to the dry mixture. Stir well using a spoon.
3. Pour out into a nonstick baking pan, and pop in the oven. Give the pan a little shake or stir every 7 or 8 minutes. The granola will be done when it is golden brown (about 45 minutes later). Right before the end, add the rest of the raisins!
4. Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
To finish… (yes it’s the same picture as the top. Do you have a probs dot com with that?)
If you need some granola making pointers check out Heather from HangryPant’s post on it… I used a lot of her tips!!!
PB really loved this!!!! He loves that it is really crunchy without being too sweet!! And that I made him a BIG batch of it! Sounds like a great tradeoff to me, brand new closet for some simple granola!
What type of fun foods do you make for those you love????