I had the most INCREDIBLE lunch yesterday (and let’s be honest, I will probably have it today too!) If you like basil, you have to try this! Not only was it delicious and satisfying, it also covered almost all of the food groups! Oh, and it was healthy, and quick! You may think the combination of eggs and avocado is strange, but trust me it is delicious! The first time I ever had that combination was on vacation in Ecuador. Every time I ordered eggs they served it with 1/2 a fresh avocado. It is now one of my favorite combinations.
Spring Basil Egg Crisps
2 whole eggs
5-7 fresh basil leaves
dash of salt
1 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
flax + whole wheat wrap (mine are the 90 calorie ones)
1. Set your oven to broil and pop your wrap in there.
2. Heat a nonstick pan. Whisk the 2 eggs in a bowl with a dash of salt. Chop up the basil and whisk them into the eggs.
3. Pour the eggs into the pan, and turn the heat to low. Cover (PB swears by covering the pan your eggs come out perfectly). Meanwhile, pull out your wrap and smash the avocado over half.
4. When the eggs have set, flip them over and add the cheese over half. Fold the eggs in half and slide right on top of the avocado.
5. Fold the wrap in half and enjoy!
A few pictures…
My smashed avocado quarter (in some spring sun):
The finished product, staring up at me:
This was one of the best lunches I have had in a long time. It literally took me 5 minutes to make, and clean up was quick too! It is high in fat, but most of the fat is healthy. Here are the nutritional facts:
Fat: 24 g
Carbohydrates: 20 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 23 g
In other news… Basil is one of my favorite things to use in cooking. I actually have always wondered why people use other green leaves in place of basil (arugula pesto, spinach pesto) but never the other way around! When will we have a nice refreshing basil salad?! Anyway, I have killed about 5 basil plants in the last two years so now I buy it by the bunch. See how ugly and wilted the bunch I just bought already is?
Any tips to planting a small pot of basil and having it successfully live?!
***Thank you all for your lovely sweet comments about the bridal shower. I am so happy!***
Question of the day: What is your favorite lunch?