Hannah’s Swiss Cinnamon Star Cookies
– 1 and 1/2 cups whole, unblanched almonds (about 6oz)
– 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
– 1 teaspoon lemon zest
– 2 large egg whites
– 1 and 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
– 1 teaspoon water
1. Finely grind almonds in a food processor (pulsing on/off works best)
and then add cinnamon and zest and pulse to combine.
2. Using an electric beater, beat egg whites until stiff, then increase
beater speed and add confectioners’ sugar 1-2 tablespoons at a time – beat
until eggs are stiff and sugar is smoothly incorporated.
3. Remove 1/3 cup of the meringue and set aside for later, then add the
rest of the meringue to the food processor and pulse to create a firm
dough out of almonds mix/meringue.
4. Invert dough onto a confectioners’ sugar dusted work surface and using
hands (no rolling pin necessary!) flatten out to 1/4 inch thick, then
using a small star shaped cookie cutter, cut out cookies (tip: dip cutter
into ice water frequently to prevent sticking) and lay cookies onto a
parchment paper lined sheet. (I usually get about 3 dozen cookies based on
5. Add the teaspoon of water to the leftover meringue and paint this onto
the tops of the cookies like icing. Allow to dry for about an hour.
6. Preheat oven to 300 degrees and bake cookies for 10-15 minutes, until
firm, but still moist.
7. Cool cookies, then store between wax paper in Tupperware or a sealed
Per Hannah: And one last added bonus is these are totally figure friendly – per 36 cookies only 55 calories a cookie with only 7 grams of carbs and 2 grams of fat (healthy fat too, from the almonds!).